To comply with Canadian International Pharmacy Association regulations you are permitted to order a 3-month supply or the closest package size available based on your personal prescription. read more
(al oh' se tron)Alosetron may cause serious gastrointestinal (GI; affecting the stomach or intestines) side effects including ischemic colitis (decreased blood flow to the bowels) and severe constipation that may need to be treated in a hospital and may rarely cause death. Tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medications: antihistamines; certain antidepressants ('mood elevators') called tricyclic antidepressants; or certain medications to treat asthma, diarrhea, lung disease, mental illness, motion sickness, overactive bladder, pain, Parkinson's disease, stomach or intestinal cramps, ulcers and upset stomach. Tell your doctor if you are constipated now, if you often have constipation, or if you have had problems resulting from constipation. Also tell your doctor if you have a blockage in your bowels, ischemic colitis, blood clots, or any disease that causes inflammation of the bowels such as Crohn's disease (swelling of the lining of the digestive tract), ulcerative colitis (a condition which causes swelling and sores in the lining of the colon [large intestine] and rectum), diverticulitis (small pouches in the lining of the large intestine that can become inflamed) or liver disease. Your doctor will probably tell you not to take alosetron. Stop taking alosetron and call your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: constipation, new or worse pain in the abdomen (stomach area), or blood in your bowel movements. Call your doctor again if your constipation does not get better after you stop taking alosetron. Once you have stopped taking alosetron because of these symptoms, do not start taking it again unless your doctor tells you that you should. Talk to your doctor about the risks of taking alosetron.
Before taking alosetron,
- tell your doctor and pharmacist if you are allergic to alosetron, any other medications, or any of the ingredients in alosetron tablets. Ask your pharmacist for a list of the ingredients..
- tell your doctor if you are taking fluvoxamine (Luvox) or the medications listed in the IMPORTANT WARNING section, Your doctor will probably tell you not to take alosetron if you are taking one or more of these medications.
- tell your doctor and pharmacist what prescription and nonprescription medications, vitamins, nutritional supplements, and herbal products you are taking or plan to take. Be sure to mention any of the following: certain antifungals such as fluconazole (Diflucan), itraconazole (Sporanox), ketoconazole (Nizoral), and voriconazole (Vfend); cimetidine (Tagamet); clarithromycin (Biaxin, in Prevpac); fluoroquinolone antibiotics including ciprofloxacin (Cipro), gatifloxacin (Tequin), levofloxacin (Levaquin), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), others; hydralazine (apresoline); isoniazid (INH, Nydrazid); certain medications for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) or acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) such as atazanavir (Reyataz), darunavir (Prezista), fosamprenavir (Lexiva), indinavir (Crixivan), lopinavir (in Kaletra), nelfinavir (Viracept), ritonavir (Norvir, in Kaletra), saquinavir (Fortovase, Invirase), and tipranavir (Aptivus); procainamide (Procanbid, Pronestyl); and telithromycin (Ketek). Many other medications may also interact with alosetron, so be sure to tell your doctor about all the medications you are taking, even those that do not appear on this list. Your doctor may need to change the doses of your medications or monitor you carefully for side effects.
- tell your doctor if you have or have ever had the conditions listed in the IMPORTANT WARNING section or any stomach or bowel problems, surgery to your stomach or bowels, or kidney disease.
- tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding. If you become pregnant while taking alosetron, call your doctor.
- upset stomach
- swelling in the stomach area